From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Malzahar in the midlane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
The Liandry's Anguish and Rylai's Crystal Scepter pairing is pretty standard for Malzahar, and will offer tons of AP, burn, and slow.
Other good items include Zhonya's Hourglass, Morellonomicon, and Demonic Embrace.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Malzahar skill priority is:
R > E > Q > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Malzahar in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Malzahar is a curious midlaner, as he plays almost passively. He deals a lot of damage over time, and as such is an excellent duellist.
- Level 1 - Take E - Malefic Visions, so you can begin poking the enemy champion and bullying the lane.
- Level 2 - Take Q - Call of the Void, for trade potential and a tool for refreshing Malefic Visions on an enemy.
- First Back - A Lost Chapter will help with mana sustain, restoring a good amount on each level up.
Tips & Tricks
- Use Malefic Visions as much as possible to push the lane, regenerate mana and harass the enemy - keep refreshing the duration using Void Swarm.
- Manage your spells patiently, as they have long cooldowns. Malzahar isn't about the all-in, but the slow burn.
- Nether Grasp can be removed using Mercurial Scimitar, so pay attention to your target's build.
- Nether Grasp also leaves you pretty vulnerable, so be mindful of lurking enemies.