From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Irelia in the midlane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Blade of the Ruined King is great for sustained damage against higher-health targets, especially with the lifesteal and attack speed.
Immortal Shieldbow adds to this with more lifesteal, for incredible survivability.
Other good items include Death's Dance, Wit's End, and Guinsoo's Rageblade.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Irelia skill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Irelia in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Irelia is great in the early game, if she manages to stack her passive to its maximum. You can even go all-in at level 2 to secure an early kill, if you're skilled enough.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Bladesurge, for a gap closer, damage, and heal. If you kill a unit with this, its cooldown is refreshed.
- Level 2 - Take E - Flawless Duet, for more poke in lane.
- First Back - Start building towards your Blade of the Ruined King, or take defensive boots if you need more survivability.
Tips & Tricks
- Try to keep your Ionian Fervor passive stacked at all times.
- You can use a low-health minion to surprise an enemy with the cooldown reset of Bladesurge.
- Defiant Dance is a great way to survive burst damage.
- Charging Defiant Dance for longer will deal increased damage.
- Remember that Vanguard's Edge reduces the cooldown of Bladesurge.
- You can use Flash and/or Bladesurge to increase the impact of Flawless Duet.