From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Gnar in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Divine Sunderer is a core item for toplane bruisers, offering lifesteal on top of its damage capabilities.
Sterak's Gage goes well with the Sunderer, offering you more sustain in lane against potential burst damage.
Other good items include Randuin's Omen, Thornmail, Black Cleaver, and Force of Nature.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Gnar skill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Gnar in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Gnar is an excellent champion for controlling the toplane, starting off ranged before becoming an outstanding bruiser once he shifts form. Zone your opponent and farm up as much as possible, before aiming to splitpush the lane as fast as you can.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Boomerang Throw / Boulder Toss, for the zoning potential.
- Level 2 - Take E - Hop / Crunch, for an excellent gap closer and escape tool.
- First Back - Start building towards your Sunderer, or pick up your defensive boots if you're struggling in lane.
Tips & Tricks
- Watch your Rage bar - when you transform into Mega Gnar, you'll gain a huge health boost that can surprise enemies. Try to time your transformation right.
- Boomerang Throw applies the passive of Hyper, while slowing the target. This makes it easier to benefit from the Hyper third hit bonus./
- Timing your transformation with a Bounce forward can often surprise the enemy.
- Bounce works on enemies and minions, but also on champion elements such as Thresh's lantern or Jarvan IV's flag.
- Use GNAR! as soon as possible in teamfights, and on as many targets as you can. This will help your team land their rotations and CC more easily.
- It's best to hit an enemy with two autos then Boomerang Throw, so that the Boomerang applies the Hyper bonus.
- If you get caught by a gank, use Bounce off the assailant to leapfrog them and get away.