From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Sion in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Frostfire Gauntlet has high magic resist and a passive slow, and is great for a toplane behemoth like Sion.
Winter's Approach synergises well with it, granting bonus health. It becomes even stronger at max mana stacks, transforming into Fimbulwinter.
Other good items include Thornmail and Randuin's Omen. Offensive items include Titanic Hydra and Sterak's Gage
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Sion skill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Sion in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Sion is a humongous tank with lots of crowd control, as well as decent damage and great wave clear. He's slow, but he's a fantastic tool for initiating teamfights, soaking up the damage in the process.
If you want to turn him into a solid splitpusher, too, replace the Shield Bash rune with Demolish.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Decimating Smash, for the waveclear and knock up.
- Level 2 - Take W - Soul Furnace, for the max health passive and active shield.
- First Back - Start building towards Frostfire Gauntlet, or if you're struggling pick up defensive boots or a Bramble Vest.
Tips & Tricks
- You can activate Soul Furnace at any time, whether during the wind-up of Decimating Smash, or during Unstoppable Onslaught.
- Controlling Unstoppable Onslaught isn't easy. Plan your changes in direction in advance, and if you can, train yourself with the practice tool.
- Any environmental addition, such as Anivia's wall or Trundle's pillar, will halt Unstoppable Onslaught.
- You can send a minion flying with Roar of the Slayer, which is useful for helping Lee Sin get around, or for stopping an enemy jumping onto your minion (such as Jax, Katarina, or Lee Sin).
- Decimating Smash is invisible to enemies if you're in a bush.
- Unstoppable Onslaught can be used on structures such as turrets.