From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Graves in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Immortal Shieldbow helps marksmen survive burst damage, and adds valuable lifesteal.
Bloodthirster is a great AD item that offers a lot of sustain through its lifesteal.
Other good items include Infinity Edge, Lord Dominik's Regards, The Collector, and Rapid Firecannon.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Graves skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Graves in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
When trading in lane, intersperse Quickdraw with your auto-attacks for more base damage. He's a strong duelist in the early game, but will need his jungler to get ahead in lane. Winning toplane early can be the key to a strong transition into the lategame. In teamfights, look to take down the weakest opponents.
- Level 1 - Take E - Quickdraw, for the faster jungle clear.
- Level 2 - Take Q - End of the Line, for area damage and even more waveclear potential.
- First Back - Start working towards your Immortal Shieldbow.
Tips & Tricks
- End of the Line returns directly to its initial position if you throw it at a wall - use this as soon as possible so that your opponent can't dodge the second shot.
- You can Flash immediately after using End of the Line so that it deploys to your destination.
- A well-placed Smoke Screen can prevent enemies seeing what is happening during a teamfight.
- You can use Quick Draw and Collateral Damage to hop over a wall if you place your back to it.
- Collateral Damage has an extremely long range, and can hit distant targets over the environment.
- You'll need plenty of Long Swords for your build, so if you find yourself back at base with 350 gold, make sure to pick one up rather than wait for a more complete item.