From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Gwen in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Riftmaker is great in extended trades, as you'll face in the toplane.
Nashor's Tooth adds attack speed, and is ideal for melee AP users like Gwen.
Other good items include Zhonya's Hourglass and Cosmic Drive.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Gwen skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Gwen in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Gwen is weak in the early game, so you'll need to be patient. However, she does have good defensive and escape tools to keep you going until you come online through your two-item power spike. In teamfights you'll need four stacks of her passive to be effective, so try to delay entry until you have them. Throw out your ult if you see the enemy team grouped together.
- Level 1 - Take E - Skip 'n Slash, for extra damage when clearing waves.
- Level 2 - Take Snip Snip! for more damage.
- First Back - Start building towards your Riftmaker, or pick up boots if you're struggling.
Tips & Tricks
- When Snip Snip! is at its most powerful (four stacks), you can afford to trade with your opponent. However, don't try to engage on zero stacks.
- Hallowed Mist can be useful if you engage badly. In addition to the defensive stats, it makes you untargetable. Use it to escape.
- Hallowed Mist blocks global ults such as those of Jhin and Ashe, but you'll take damage if an enemy is within the mist.
- It can also be used offensively, if you're ahead - use it before you engage. However, the cooldown is long, so use it wisely.
- Skip 'n Slash boosts your autos for four seconds, and gives you a dash. Make sure you hit an enemy in this time so that you refresh half of the cooldown. Just watch your mana bar.
- Extended trades work in your favour, but only if you stick close to your opponent.