From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Maokai in the botlane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Evenshroud is a solid shout for Maokai in the botlane, offering lots of tanky stats and a great passive that will boost your ADC's output considerably.
It goes well with Dead Man's Plate, which is probably even more of a core item due to how immobile Maokai is.
Pair those with Thornmail, Knight's Vow, and maybe a Frozen Heart and you'll be a strong tank support.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Maokai skill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Maokai in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
An excellent tank no matter where he's playing, you'll want to try to zone your lane opponents as much as possible. When you have your full set of spells and a couple items, you can really go ham on trading - Maokai's kit allows him to lock down the laners well. If your ADC is on the ball, you'll do great.
- Level 1 - Take W - Twisted Advance, for the gap closer and stun.
- Level 2 - Take Q - Bramble Smash, for the area damage.
- First Back - Start towards your Dead Man's Plate, or pick up a Bramble Vest if there's too much damage coming out.
Tips & Tricks
- When sieging a turret, don't hesitate to use Sapling Toss. The slow can be the difference between them defending the turret or your siege being successful.
- Sapling Toss can also be used to negate enemy traps in bushes.
- Saplings placed into a bush last longer, and have a greater effect.
- Bramble Smash hits around Maokai, pushing enemies back. This can be used to send enemies closer to your team if you position yourself behind them.
- Once launched, Twisted Advance takes you to the end of the spell. Make sure you're not heading into danger!
- Twisted Advance makes you untargetable for a brief moment - use it to avoid spells!