A host of Premier League footballers represented their clubs on the virtual football field in the FIFA 20 ePremier League Invitational tournament.
The final was broadcast live on Sky Sports in the UK and online, with the prize pool for the tournament donated to the #PlayersTogether initiative to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
Raheem Sterling, Andre Gomes, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Diogo Jota were among the Premier League stars competing in the tournament, and it proved to be the latter pair who contested the Final after Jota eased past Burnley's Dwight McNeil in the semi-finals, while Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold produced a comeback from 2-0 down against Manchester City star Stirling to win 3-2.
Despite 29 goals between Jota and Alexander-Arnold in the earlier rounds, the Final was a tense, closely fought affair. Goalless after 90 minutes, the pair couldn't be separated by a 45-minute period of golden-goal extra time. It went to a second period, and a goal-line clearance and the woodwork kept Alexander-Arnold in the match.
Ultimately, tournament favourite Diogo Jota made his relentless pressure count, a perfect through-ball leading to a powerful shot past Alisson into the top corner to seal victory.
Despite some technical issues throughout, it was a fun tournament in the end and a great advert for Premier League football during the global lockdown.
Tuesday, April 21 - Round 1
- John McGinn (Aston Villa) 1-6 Neal Maupay (Brighton)
- Josh Franceschi (Arsenal) 4-3 Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford)
- Dwight McNeil (Burnley) 3-2 Ryan Fredericks (West Ham)
- Philip Billing (Bournemouth) 4-0 Angus Gunn (Southampton)
Wednesday, April 22 - Last 16 Part 1
- Raheem Sterling (Man City) 5-4 Wilfred Zaha (Crystal Palace)
- Tom Grennan (Man United) 1-5 Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
- Reece James (Chelsea) 0-8 Andre Gomes (Everton)
- Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham) 1-2 Christian Atsu (Newcastle)
Thursday, April 23 - Last 16 Part 2
- Diego Jota (Wolves) 8-2 Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City)
- Todd Cantwell (Norwich) 2-6 Lys Mousset (Sheffield United)
- Neal Maupay (Brighton) 4-2 Philip Billing (Bournemouth)
- Josh Franceschi (Arsenal) 1-3 Dwight McNeil (Burnley)
Friday, April 24 - Quarter Finals
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) 4-1 Christian Atsu (Newcastle)
- Diogo Jota (Wolves) 5-2 Lys Mousset (Sheffield United)
- Andre Gomes (Everton) 2-4 Raheem Sterling (Man City)
- Neal Maupay (Brighton) 0-1 Dwight McNeil (Burnley)
Saturday. April 25 - Semi-Finals
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) 3-2 Raheem Sterling (Man City)
- Dwight McNeil (Burnley) 1-4 Diogo Jota (Wolves)
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) 0-1 Diogo Jota (Wolves)