The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has revealed its plans to host a first-ever series of competitions in virtual sports. The Olympic Virtual Series will take place from May 13th until June 23rd, prior to the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Aiming to connect the world of virtual sports games with their physical inspiration, a total of five games have been selected for the OVS:
- World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) – eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020, Konami Digital Entertainment
- Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) – Zwift, Zwift inc.
- World Rowing - Open format
- World Sailing - Virtual Regatta, Virtual Regatta SAS
- Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) - Gran Turismo, Polyphony Digital
In a press release, IOC President Thomas Bach said about the event: "The Olympic Virtual Series is a new, unique Olympic digital experience that aims to grow direct engagement with new audiences in the field of virtual sports. Its conception is in line with Olympic Agenda 2020+5 and the IOC’s Digital Strategy. It encourages sports participation and promotes the Olympic values, with a special focus on youth.”
The IOC has not announced the prize pools for the competitions yet, or how aspiring competitors can qualify to participate in the event.