As with all games in the series, progression in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl revolves around defeating Gym Leaders.
The second Gym Leader is Gardenia, holder of the Forest Badge.
How to defeat Gardenia in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
As always, make sure you heal up at the Pokémon Center before taking on the Gym Leader.
Gardenia is a little more complex than Roark, but still only uses one type of Pokémon. Against her Grass-types, there are a couple of decent options.
- If you chose Chimchar (Fire) as your starter, sit back and watch her three Pokémon burn. By now, it should have evolved into Monferno.
- Starly (Normal/Flying) is a great option, especially if it's evolved into Staravia.
- Chatot (Normal/Flying) also fits this bill, providing you traded your Buizel in the Eterna City Condominiums.
- Zubat is useful too, as a Flying-type Pokémon.
- Any Bug or Poison-type Pokémon you've caught on your way will also perform well.
Just avoid using Water, Ground, and Electric-type Pokémon at all costs.
Here are the Trainers you'll take on before Gardenia.
Cherubi, Level 15
Roselia, Level 15
Win: 540 Pokédollars
Budew, Level 14
Budew, Level 13
Budew, Level 15
Win: 780 Pokédollars
Turtwig, Level 17
Win: 816 Pokédollars
Roselia, Level 17
Win: 1,224 Pokédollars
When facing Gardenia, watch out for Roserade's Magical Leaf attack, which has the potential to do a lot of damage.
Cherubi, Level 19
Turtwig, Level 19
Roserade, Level 22
Win: 2,904 Pokédollars
Defeating Gardenia will get the Forest Badge, which unlocks the ability to use Cut outside of battle.
She'll also give you a few copies of TM86 Grass Knot, a move which deals more damage the heavier the opponent.
Now that you have your second Gym Badge, return to our complete walkthrough, and on to the next objective!