One of the main new features of Elden Ring, compared to previous FromSoftware games, is the addition of a faithful mount to assist you in exploring the vast territories. But as you will quickly realize at the beginning of the game, you are only a vulgar trooper condemned to walk until you find Torrent. Here is how to obtain your faithful steed as soon as possible.
How to get Torrent, your mount?
As you exit the starting area, start looking for Sites of Grace, then follow the light towards the Ruined Church and its second Site of Grace. Continue to follow the light of Grace, heading northeast along the road and you will come across some soldiers. Avoid the ruins on the right and go directly to rest at the Site of Grace in front of the large doors. This will bring up Melina, the character in charge of leveling up your stats. Accept her offer and, as a bonus, she will give you the Spectral Steed Whistle.
To call your horse, you have to open the menu, then select the Equipment tab. Select an empty space in the hotbar, then assign Spectral Steed Whistle to that slot . The principle is the same as for vials and consumables.
Some tips in using the horse
- The horse can take fairly large falls without taking damage, but there is a limit. You can die from falling from too high.
- You can double jump with the horse: it helps to climb the scenery. Oddly, it doesn't cushion long falls, even when used with the right timing.
- The spirit fountains allow you to perform super jumps with your horse by jumping into them. You still control your course in the air. There is no fall damage after jumping like this, just avoid landing in water or it will kill you.
- Some fights are thought to be performed on the back of your steed, like the giant trolls and the dragon.
- Not all weapons are equal when riding your horse: plus, you can only wield them one-handed. Edged weapons seemed to us to be easier to use than spears. Spells are very good on horseback.
- Your horse has its own health bar, you can heal it with consumables created through crafting. If your horse dies, either rest at a Site of Grace or use a charge of Healing Flask.
FromSoftware's open world offers 10 different classes for character creation. Here's a guide to help you select the best class for you, based on your wants and needs, and how you plan to play.