New World allows players to equip two types of weapon, each with its own Mastery tree and skills.
The War Hammer is a bludgeoning tool that can deal massive damage if used correctly, creating havoc with your opponents.
How to get a War Hammer
In New World, there are various ways to obtain a War Hammer.
- Dropped by mobs or found in crates
- Purchased through the it in the Trading Post
- Crafted by Weaponsmiths
Which weapon to pair with the War Hammer
If you're running the War Hammer as your main weapon, you won't have as broad a choice when it comes to secondary arms given its playstyle. However, there are a couple of notable builds.
Sword & Shield
Taking the Sword & Shield combo allows you to be much more tanky than most builds. While the War Hammer isn't a tank weapon in any way, it does have a lot of control abilities.
For instances where you're asked to be a little more tanky, this is an ideal combo.
We'd recommend the Defender skill tree abilities for the Sword & Shield.
The ultimate in behemoth crowd-controlling aggression, taking the Great Axe is for those who like it big and powerful. Pull your enemies in with Gravity Well before dropping an Execute, for massive damage without even breaking a sweat.
We'd recommend the following skills for the Great Axe as a secondary weapon.
The best build for the War Hammer
Our guide focuses on builds that offer ideal balance between the PvE and PvP sides of the game.
It is intended for players who don't wish to waste resources when it comes to allocating skill points.
Upgrade this skill three times.
A Powerful swing that penetrates 35% of the Target's armor and deals 140% Weapon damage.
○ Indomitable: Adds Grit to the attack, making the attack unstoppable.
○ Lasting Trauma: Armor Breaker grants the target Rend, reducing damage absorption by 15% for 10 seconds.
○ Opening Act: Increase Armor Breaker damage by 15% against targets with full health.
Upgrade this skill four times.
An overhead leaping attack that crushes down on enemies dealing 160% weapon damage.
○ Summary Judgment: On targets under 30% HP: Increase damage done by Mighty Gavel attack by 20%.
○ Impact Fracture: Increase Stamina damage done by Mighty Gavel attack by 25%.
○ Expedite: After a successful Mighty Gavel attack, gain Haste, increasing player's movement speed by 30% for 3 seconds.
○ Justice For All: Press Light Attack (LMB) during Mighty Gavel to add a second attack that deals 200% weapon damage.
Upgrade this skill twice.
Slam the Hammer into the ground causing a 3 meter radius AOE earthquake that deals 80% weapon damage.
Applies Stun to all impacted targets for 2 Seconds.Taunt Gem Compatible: If you have a Carnelian gem equipped in your war hammer, This ability cause a 6s taunts when it hits. (Taunt causes monsters to focus only on you.)
○ Frailty: The trauma of the attack causes Weaken, decreasing the damage dealt from the target's attacks by 10% for 10 seconds.
○ Meteoric Crater: Expands the effective range of the Shockwave to a 4 meter radius.
Passive Tree Build
All Warhammer abilities apply Exhaust, slowing target's stamina regeneration by 15% for 5 seconds. (Does not stack)
On targets under 30% HP: Increase damage done by Heavy Attacks by 15%.
For 1 second after taking damage, deal 35% extra damage.
Reduce Stamina consumption by -30% when Blocking Melee Attacks.
Reduce damage taken by 10% while sprinting.
After hitting a target with an active Debuff; Obtain Haste, increasing movement speed by 15% for 3 seconds.
+15% damage against targets affected by Warhammer Debuffs.
Why did we choose this build?
The offensive skills in this build are exceptionally aggressive, with the aim being that you deal enough damage to win duels with enemies either in PvP or PvE.
The passive skills chosen provide the necessary resistance, essentially making this a control-and-bludgeon type of build.
Hit them harder than they can hit you!
Stat Point Allocation
Going 50/50 between Strength and Constitution allows you flexibility in choosing the role for the moment, whether that's protective tank or DPS tank.
Tailoring your gear to which of those styles you prefer is where your flexibility comes from. Should you want more DPS, take gear that focuses on Strength first and Constitution secondary, or vice versa when you need to become a super-tank.
How to level up the War Hammer
Levelling up equipment is pretty easy in New World -- the more you use the weapon, the more experience it will gain.
Be mindful that the weapon doesn't gain experience if you don't use it, so even if you bring it out for a single hit, you'll benefit from the XP.