For the very first time in the series of main games, Pokémon Legends Arceus will offer us to choose between three creatures from different generations. Even if the story takes place in an old Sinnoh era, the region then being called Hisui, the player will have to forget the emblematic Piplup, Ousticram and Tortipouss of 4G. This time, you will have to choose between Oshawott, Cyndaquil and Rowlet instead. Let us introduce you to these three adorable creatures: their origins, their types, their evolutions, their types, their strengths and their weaknesses, in order to make the right choice at the beginning of your adventure.
Rowlet: the owl from Alola
A Flying and Grass-type , Widget was one of the 7G starters in Alola on Pokémon Sun and Moon.
- Its advantage : its double-type allows it to be very effective against a large number of Pokémon. Indeed, creatures of type
- Its disadvantage : in the same way, its double-type makes it sensitive to many types. So Ice, Fire, Poison, Flying, and Rock-type Pokémon will cause terrible damage to it. Luckily, Rowlet is immune to Ground-type attacks.
Cyndaquil, the fiery hedgehog from Johto
We go back a long way in the past with this second generation starter on GameBoy. A Fire- type only, it was probably players' favorite starter Pokémon on the Gold and Silver versions.
- Its advantage : Cyndaquil's Fire-Type allows it to be very effective against Steel, Ice, Insect and Plant-type Pokémon, to which it will itself be resistant.
- Its disadvantage : the Fire type is however very ineffective against Pokémon of the Dragon, Water, Fire and Rock types. Cyndaquil will also be very vulnerable to Water, Rock and Ground types.
Oshawott, the adorable otter from Unova
Oshawott first appears in the fifth generation with the Black and White versions on the Nintendo DS. He is a Water type only.
- Its advantage : simply a Water type, Oshawott will have the advantage over Fire, Rock and Ground type Pokémon.
- Its disadvantage: on the other hand, it is very ineffective on Dragon, Water and Plant types, and will be very weak against Electric and Plant type attacks.
Which one to choose in the end?
Now that we've introduced you to the three Arceus Pokémon Legends starters, it's time to choose. Of course, the first way to choose your starter simply concerns the aesthetics of the latter. Do not focus only on their base forms but also on their evolutions. Note for example that in LPA, these three Pokémon have special Hisui evolutions.
The design aside, you can then choose your starter according to its type and its strengths/weaknesses. So, from what we saw above, Rowlet is the only starter here to have a double-type from the start. It remains to be seen whether you prefer a simplified beginning of the adventure and a more difficult end-game, or the opposite. Indeed, the different areas of Hisui that you will unlock as your adventure progresses are all focused on specific types of Pokémon.
For example, the second area puts more emphasis on Ground-type and Poison-type Pokémon. Choosing a starter like Rowlet may make it more difficult for you than taking Oshawott. But remember that your team is made up of 6 Pokémon and your starter should not be the only creature to be used. So consider creating a roster of varied Pokémon with complementary types. Riding 12 Pokémon of different types throughout your adventure can be interesting: that is to say, you will have to regularly put them in your team to grant them an experience gain.