God of War Ragnarok will give you the opportunity to face a whole bunch of dragons, which changes a bit from the painful and fast humanoids. It would be a breath of fresh air for Kratos, if they weren't such dangerous opponents. At least every dragon slain is one step closer to the Dragonscale Armor Trophy.
The objective of this guide, as well as all those dedicated to bosses, is to help you beat them on maximum difficulty, "Only God of War", so that they are relevant for all levels.
What equipment to use?
- We advise you instead to use the Chaos Blades on this enemy, since it is better to avoid being too close to the dragon, in order to have a chance to dodge certain attacks.
- You don't have it yet, so go see this dragon as soon as possible, but if you go later in the story, the Draupnir Spear is going to make the fight much easier. The reason being that the beast has a weak point on each front leg.
- The enchantment in the amulet, which allows you to double the distance traveled by your rolls, will be a great help in this fight.
- If you are going to face this dragon very quickly, without having upgraded your equipment, its health bar may be red with a skull. In this case, it will be almost impossible to defeat him. Gain one or two levels of equipment in this case.
Strategy and tips
- You will not only face one terrestrial dragon in play, learning to manage the fight properly is therefore advisable.
- As with other bosses in the game, playing too aggressively can quickly kill you if you don't play perfectly. It is safer to keep your distance , and react correctly to the attacks of the boss, before counter-attacking, as soon as an opportunity is offered to you. Then you have to distance yourself.
- Try to save your Spartan Rage for the end of the fight, the dragon also enrages, which makes it quite difficult to attack otherwise.
- If you already have the Draupnir Spear, you can stick a spear into each of the yellow weak spots on its front legs, then blast them with triangle. This will deal damage to him and knock him to the ground for a while. You can easily see if the spear is well planted, since the weak point turns red. However, you don't need it at all to beat this boss. This will especially apply to the following.
List of attacks and how to counter them
Headbutt (yellow attack) : A sweep with the dragon's head, it is easy to parry or dodge, since it turns its head to the side before. Parrying it is better, however, since it allows you to attack freely for a while. The dragon also likes to chain normal headbutts.
Paw (normal attack) : This is the most common attack of the beast, we can usually see it coming, since he raises it before. If you block it, it will push you back. It's a good way to distance yourself.
Rage (red attack) : When a red circle appears on the head of the beast, dodge laterally. This attack comes quickly, but it lacks range, and it's not very wide.
Tail Swipe (Yellow Attack) : Used from a distance, this attack hits over a very wide area, and its timing is a bit odd. The fact that the yellow circle is at head level as it strikes with its tail is a bit misleading too. Fortunately, its characteristic position helps to see it coming. Blocking is a good solution, since you have time to recover before the next attack, although parrying is still the ideal solution. Dodging can be dangerous if you miss your shot.
Projectiles (normal attack) : This ranged attack has a tendency to take you by surprise, since it does not come with an alert circle. On the other hand, your companion will alert you in advance of his arrival. So you can just block (or parry).
Crush (red attack) : Here is the reason why you are advised to keep your distance. The dragon raises its two front legs, then it crushes the area in front of it. This produces a shock wave around him, and another forward. Trying to dodge laterally in melee does not put you out of harm's way. Doing a back roll either. With good positioning, it is possible to escape it with a backward diagonal roll, but it's a bit hit or miss. The best solution is therefore to keep a few meters distance between the dragon and you, so that you can easily pass out of range with a side dodge. Towards the end of the fight, the dragon will use this ability 2 or even 3 times in a row, which can be fatal. This makes melee combat difficult.
Projectiles (red attack) : Used rarely, this attack therefore tends to surprise, especially since the large size of the dragon tends to block your view. A red circle appears at head level, but the dragon ducks and raises its tail to fire a volley of projectiles from above. If you are a little too close to the dragon, you will not see the animation. Fortunately, as with the rant, it dodges laterally, which somewhat limits the risk of error on your part.
Discover the position on the map of all the collectible crows present in the kingdom of the Vanes gods with this guide to God of War Ragnarök. This includes screenshots, as well as instructions and explanations for reaching the more complex ones.