A lot was said regarding Shadowlands, the latest expansion announced for World of Warcraft.
- Four congregations will be available in four zones: Kyrian, Necrolord, Night Fae and Venthyrs
- Choose of at Level 60
- Players can change Covenant if they make a mistake in their choice, but it takes time to connect with your new faction.
The Covenant sanctum is similar to the Legion Class Hall, and players will spend a lot of time there.
The abilities granted by the Covenant are "a way to face a fight without fighting". Some unique customizations are then unlockable for these.
Covenant class abilities are techniques that improve the power of your class directly by adding a unique dedicated spell. Each Covenant grants a different ability.
Players have the opportunity to bind their soul to a Shadowlands inhabitant of their Covenant, allowing them to obtain a unique additional generic new ability.
It is possible to change the bind depending on the situation the player is facing.
- Weapons, armor, cloaks, mounts (upgradable), global bonuses and a unique campaign depending on the Covenant you choose to join.
- Leveling much too long.
- Not all levels are impactful, they do not all grant useful rewards.
- Timelines and confusing stories.
New players feel they have missed something if they were not there when events took place in the game during the appropriate expansion.
- Choose the story we want to follow.
- Make each level useful and impactful.
- Modernize the introduction to World of Warcraft.
- Level squish: 1 to 60, each level becomes useful and leveling is accelerated.
- Possibility to choose the expansion in which we want to progress between levels 10 and 50.
- The 120 levels become 50 levels.
- Level 50-60 takes place in Shadowlands.
- Players of lower levels are squished to appropriate levels (your level divided by approximately 2.4).
- New starting areas (1 to 10) for Death Knight and Demon Hunter).
- New starting area: Exile's Reach.
- Epic zone finale: a mini-dungeon.
- After the starting area, players travel to their capital to discover Battle for Azeroth.
- Current players have the possibility to go to Exile's Reach if they wish, or to the existing starting areas (Durotar etc).
- Chromie is back, and allows us to choose an expansion whose history we want to follow during the Level 10-50 range, thanks to time travel.
- At Level 50, players return to the present and travel to the Shadowlands.
- World of Warcraft Classic is a good example of leveling that Blizzard likes.
- Mists of Pandaria was the beginning of the problems concerning the classes.
- Abilities were removed from Warlords of Draenor that were supposed to be useless according to Blizzard.
- Legion introduced Artifact weapons that added unique and distinct spells to each specialization.
- In Shadowlands Covenants will grant unique abilities dedicated to CLASSES rather than specializations.
- Developers have heard players' complaints about classes.
- The identity of the classes is back, say goodbye the identity of the unique specializations that give you the feeling of playing a different class each time you change your specialization.
- Classes must have access to certain basic abilities in their class, even if it is a different school of magic than your specialization, for example.
Here are some of the abilities that will make their comeback in Shadowlands:
Iconic Class Abilities
- Paladin auras (Devotion, Retribution, Concentration).
- Persistent Shaman totems.
- Poisons dedicated to the Rogue as a whole, not only to the Assassination specialization.
- Warlock curses (Tongues, Doom, Weakness, Recklessness).
Talents and Honor Talents
- Demonic Circle
- Summon Gargoyle
- Hunter's Mark
- Hammer of Wrath
- Anti Magic Zone
Long Lost Friends
- Shattering Throw
- Kill Shot
- Challenging Shout
- Eyes of the Beast
- Ritual of Doom
Torghast and the Maw
- The Maw is a prison for the worst souls from Azeroth.
- This is the domain of the Jailer.
- Recently transformed into an unjust prison for millions of souls.
- We have the ability to enter and exit the Maw to help our Covenant.
- The Maw is a high-level outdoor area where everything is a threat: creatures, environment, mechanics, etc.
- Everything you do in the Maw is visible to the Jailer through his Eyes of the Jailer ability. When you do something (kill a lieutenant, die etc.), he sends his guards after you constantly.
- Instance that scales from 1 to 5 players
- Enemies gain in power just like players as you climb the tower
- Progress in this tower unlocks new challenges (traps, riddles, locks etc.)
- This is not a timed mode.
- Encourages exploration rather than rushing.
- Enemies and floor layouts change with each visit.
- As players earn Anima in Torghast, they gain access to unique abilities.
- Each visit allows you to change the selected abilities.
- As the weeks go by, the Jailer changes his tactics and modifies the tower to defeat you.
- The abilities available to players change, as do the creatures in the instance etc.
- As you climb the tower, you discover runes to create legendary items.
- It's possibile to discover the origin of Frostmourne or the Helm of Domination.