From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Varus in the botlane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Immortal Shieldbow helps marksmen survive burst damage, and adds valuable lifesteal.
Wit's End is an effective item against mages and AP-wielders, as well as dealing bonus magic damage on hit.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Varus skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Varus in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Varus has decent range on his skills, and can easily apply pressure in the botlane in the early moments of a game. However, he has a pretty significant lack of mobility, and is easily punished by CC.
- Level 1 - Take E - Hail of Arrows, to more quickly farm creeps, slow the enemy, and apply area pressure.
- Level 2 - Take W - Blighted Quiver, for poke and better trades in the botlane.
- Level 3 - Take Q - Piercing Arrow, so that you can zone the enemy ADC and be more impactful in trades.
- First Back - A Hearthbound Axe will set you on your way to your Wit's End, and will offer a small boost to move speed.
Tips & Tricks
- With its long wind-up time, it's a good idea to use Piercing Arrow from a bush or the fog of war to ensure you hit the enemy.
- Make sure to apply all stacks of Blighted Quiver before using your other abilities, for maximum damage. This is especially relevant to Piercing Arrow.
- It's possible to use Flash as you're winding up the Piercing Arrow. This is a good way to surprise an enemy who thinks you're fleeing.
- Chains of Corruption is as good a defensive ability as it is offensive.