From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Kennen in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Hextech Rocketbelt is a key item for Kennen in closing gaps, allowing him to effectively begin his ult.
Zhonya's Hourglass will allow you to then survive being focused during your ult.
Other good items include Morellonomicon, Void Staff, and Shadowflame.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Kennen skill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Kennen in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Kennen is good at controlling the toplane due to being a ranged champion, even if he is squishy. However, his hard engage capabilities are exceptional.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Thundering Shuriken, for poke.
- Level 2 - Take W - Electrical Surge, for added damage.
- First Back - Aim for boots, or begin to build your Hextech Rocketbelt.
Tips & Tricks
- Lightning Rush allows you to pass through minions.
- Use Lightning Rush to recover energy by passing through an enemy champion.
- You can use other skills during Lightning Rush.
- Electrical Surge has a visual cue when the passive is up.
- However, the boosted fifth attack of Electrical Surge doesn't apply to structures.
- Kennen gains Attack Speed after Lightning Rush ends. Use this to your advantage.