From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Riven in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Goredrinker is a great choice that offers sustain, thanks to the sizeable heal.
Black Cleaver is great for shredding armor-heavy champions, like those often found in the toplane.
Other good items include Death's Dance, Sterak's Gage, and Youmoo's Ghostblade.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Riven skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Riven in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Riven is a great champion for trading in lane, and can shred through opponents while not taking too much damage herself. She has a gap closer which can help her escape over walls, and you'll want to take advantage of this as much as possible.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Broken Wings, for damage and gap closing or escape potential.
- Level 2 - Take E - Valor, for the shield and sustain in lane.
- First Back - If you're struggling in lane, swap your plan to pick up Lucidity boots for defensive boots.
Tips & Tricks
- Riven's passive requires you auto-attack often, so intersperse abilities with autos.
- The third jump of Broken Wings allows you to pass through walls. Use this to escape if needs be, or to surprise an enemy.
- You can cancel the animations of many abilities by using another.
- Broken Wings sends you in the direction of where Riven facing, not the mouse cursor.