From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Sona as a support in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Moonstone Renewer is ideal for spamming your heals, increasing as battles go on.
Chemtech Purifier is great for debuffing enemy champions with Grievous Wounds while empowering allies.
Other good items include Archangel's Staff and Staff of Flowing Water.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Sona skill priority is:
R > W > Q > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Sona in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Sona has two jobs - keep her ADC healed and protected, and harass the enemy ADC through her Q poke. She's also a great roamer, who can move quickly with her E.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Hymn of Valor, for the poke. Make sure enemy champions are within range.
- Level 2 - Take W - Aria of Perseverance, to begin healing and shielding her ADC.
- First Back - Ionian Boots of Lucidity will reduce cooldowns, but perhaps a Bandleglass Mirror is better for the mana regen.
Tips & Tricks
- When returning to lane, use your Song of Celerity twice - this will mean your Power Chord is online, meaning you can immediately poke with an empowered Hymn of Valor for extra damage.
- If you don't need it for anything else in that moment, feel free to use Power Chord with an auto-attack for damage. It could be the difference between an enemy ADC choosing to trade or back.
- Use an empowered Aria of Perseverance on an enemy champion, such as an assassin, who is attempting to dive your ADC. It will reduce the damage they deal.
- An empowered Song of Celerity will slow an opponent. Use this to chase down fleeing targets.
- Remember, your spells have an area of effect. Make sure your ADC is close to take advantage.