From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Malphite in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Frostfire Gauntlet is strong on Malphite, dealing area damage and slowing enemies.
Thornmail is ideal for inflicting Grievous Wounds, and is a key item in synergising with Malphite's passive, which scales off Armor.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Malphite skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Malphite in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Malphite is a tank, in every definition of the word. He's the ultimate engage tool, and can often survive long enough to do some serious damage to enemy teams.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Seismic Shard, so you can start poking the enemy and inflicting them with the move speed debuff.
- Level 2 - Take E - Ground Slam, for faster minion wave clear and another debuff.
- First Back - An early Bramble Vest is ideal for starting to scale, while providing good sustain in lane.
Tips & Tricks
- Remember that Seismic Shard steals move speed, rather than just slows the opponent. Use this to pursue fleeing opponents.
- Ground Slam reduces the attack speed of enemies, so use it in crowded teamfights.
- Unstoppable Force can pass through walls, including manufactured walls such as Azir's wall of soldiers.
- You can 'preload' both Thunderclap and Ground Slam during the travel time of Unstoppable Force, activating on impact.