From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Aatrox in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Goredrinker is a great item for toplane bruisers, with lifesteal added in for extra effect.
Sterak's Gage adds to the survivability, allowing bruisers to engage knowing they won't get immediately burst down.
Other good items include Death's Dance, Spirit Visage, and Black Cleaver.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Aatrox skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Aatrox in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Aatrox is good at harassing his opponent in lane right from the go thanks to his flexible kit, allowing him to poke and farm pretty effectively. In teamfights he acts as a zoner, as well as bearing the brunt of the focus to allow his teammates to deal more damage. He may go down, but he'll not go down without a fight.
- Level 1 - Take Q - The Darkin Blade, for the knock-up, area damage, and lane control.
- Level 2 - Take E - Umbral Dash, for a gap closer. This is ideal for early trades.
- First Back - Start building towards Goredrinker. If you're struggling, pick up your defensive boots.
Tips & Tricks
- The cooldown of Aatrox's passive is reduced by 2 seconds every time he uses a spell - keep on top of this so you know when to deal the extra damage.
- The Darkin Blade can be cast up to three times in succession - try to have enemy champions in the center of the third strike, so that they are knocked up.
- You can use Flash during The Darkin Blade to change trajectory and surprise your opponents.
- Umbral Dash can take you through some walls. Use this to escape or surprise an opponent.
- Activating World Ender fears nearby minions.
- Make the most of the slow from Infernal Chains to maximise the damage of The Darkin Blade and secure the knockup.