From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Bard in the botlane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Shurelya's Battlesong is a great item on Bard, offering a great move speed active to support your ADC.
Chemtech Putrifier helps apply Grievous Wounds to your opponent, to make trades easier and give you an advantage in a teamfight.
Other good items include Dead Man's Plate, Redemption, and Knight's Vow.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Bardskill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Bard in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Bard will roam a lot during the game, collecting chimes and helping out lanes wherever he can, so it's important you have an ADC who is comfortable farming lane on their own. He has excellent mobility, and you'll want to keep the enemy guessing as to where you are. Vision management is key to Bard's success as a result.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Cosmic Binding, for the slow. This is a good poke tool early, before becoming key to a successful gank.
- Level 2 - Take W - Caretaker Shrine, so you can give your ADC and other allies a great free heal and move speed buff.
- First Back - Aim for your Mobility Boots so you can start roaming effectively.
Tips & Tricks
- Magical Journey can travel through anything, including thicker or longer walls. Use it to surprise enemies from strange angles, or provide a great escape tool.
- Be sure to have Cosmic Binding hit a second enemy or wall for the additional stun, on top of the slow.
- Caretaker's Shrines can be destroyed by enemies, so make sure to place them further back, perhaps behind your own turret, to ensure your allies benefit when needed.
- Ancient Chimes remain on the map for ten minutes before disappearing, and give you an experience advantage early game. They also restore % mana, and grant move speed for seven seconds. This is why it's crucial to continuously roam on Bard, so that he unlocks his full potential.
- Remember that the Redemption item can be used even if you die. Use it in conjunction with your ultimate for great effect.
- Make sure to be careful when using Tempered Fate - if used incorrectly it could backfire!