From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Vex in the midlane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Everfrost is a good item for midlane control, thanks to an excellent on-use slow and root.
Zhonya's Hourglass is an essential survival tool for AP champions, especially in the midlane when the ganks come calling.
Other good items include Shadowflame and Horizon Focus.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Vex skill priority is:
R > Q > W > E
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Vex in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
As a midlane mage, you'll want to maximise your damage potential on Vex. She's better against melee midlaners, as ranged champions will easily push the lane and you'll need to play more cautiously. She only has one defensive tool, and is easily caught out, making the Everfrost/Zhonya's combo essential. In teamfights, don't engage right away - pick the right time and target before making your move.
- Level 1 - Take E - Looming Darkness, for the area damage, zoning, and faster wave clear.
- Level 2 - Take Q - Mistral Bolt, for more zoning and damage.
- First Back - Work towards your Everfrost with a Lost Chapter, which will help with mana management.
Tips & Tricks
- Whenever an enemy uses a dash, be sure to hit them so that your passive can do its job.
- Use your ult on targets that are retreating with low health, or when you're sure to win the duel. Reactivate it when the target is at a convenient location on the map, and take advantage of its range.
- You can also use your ult in a teamfight if you're too far from your teammates. Favour squishy targets, but be careful - you could get locked down immediately on arrival.
- Personal Space is useful for blocking enemy abilities that deal great burst damage. However, it has a long cooldown, so use it sparingly and at the right time.