From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Akali in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Hextech Rocketbelt is a key item for champions who want a gap closer, with burst assassins such as Akali a prime example.
Shadowflame is also a great choice, offering survivability alongside AP and magic penetration.
Other good items include Zhonya's Hourglass, Demonic Embrace and Morellonomicon.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Akali skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Akali in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
Akali is weak in the early game, so you'll want to play cautiously against any ranged toplaners. Play around her mobility, and once you have a couple of items, her burst potential becomes incredibly strong. All in all, Akali is a mechanically challenging champion to play, but with a high reward. In teamfights, you'll want to try and dive on the squishy carries.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Five-Point Strike, for waveclear and a slow.
- Level 2 - Take E - Shuriken Flip, for more damage, and both an engage and disengage tool in one.
- First Back - Work towards your Rocketbelt, or pick up boots if you have enough.
Tips & Tricks
- Shuriken Flip will send you backwards far enough so that you can activate your Assassin's Mark passive. You'll also be at maximum range for Five-Point Strike - use it, and you'll be able to leap back into the enemy and attack. This combo is tough to execute, but your bread-and-butter.
- The second activation of Shuriken Flip has no range limit. For example, if a marked enemy teleports, you can activate and follow.
- Five-Point Strike has two activations, the first dealing physical damage and the second magic damage, plus bonus magic damage based on missing health. As such, it's a great skill to use to finish off enemies.