From runes to items, gameplay tips amd more, we've put together a guide to help you master playing Gragas in the toplane in League of Legends.
Be mindful that there are several ways to build and play a champion, and you'll need to be adaptable as the game and the enemy team progress.
That said, this guide is a good starting point to helping you get to grips with the champion and making an impact in your games.
Unlike in the jungle, you'll want to build Gragas more tanky. Turbo Chemtank is the ideal Mythic item, while Winter's Approach is core alongside Thornmail.
Other good choices include Zhonya's Hourglass, Gargoyle's Stoneplate, and Randuin's Omen.
Starting Item & Boots
While your choices may differ according to how the game progresses, the typical Gragas skill priority is:
R > Q > E > W
These are the summoner spells most typically taken by Gragas in this role. Naturally, this may change depending on match-ups.
You'll want to play Gragas differently than in the jungle. Here, he operates more of a harass tank, zoning opponents and supporting the jungler when ganks come. Push the lane, clear the waves, and try to dominate the lane.
- Level 1 - Take Q - Barrel Roll, for area damage and faster waveclear.
- Level 2 - Take E - Body Slam, for the dash and knock-up.
- First Back - Make Bramble Vest your first purchase, for the protection and Grievous Wounds.
Tips & Tricks
- The classic Gragas combo is to Flash into an enemy during the animation of Body Slam.
- Use Drunken Rage between camps to recover health!
- Drunken Rage also reduces damage during channeling.
- Try to land your ult just behind the enemy line, so it knocks them into your team and away from safety.