Kennen is a hybrid damage toplaner. Being a ranged champion, he can harass the majority of toplaners. He bases his damage on his auto-attacks and spells.
- Sorcerer's Shoes is your default choice as a wizard.
- Mercury's Treads is the best choice for a difficult heavy AP match-up.
- Hextech Protobelt-01 is mandatory: it allows you to push the wave quickly, but above all to get closer to your enemies when you use R - Slicing Maelström.
- Zhonya's Hourglass can be used after casting your ultimate, you'll then be able to be unkillable while dealing damage.
- After these two items Rabadon's Deathcap will greatly improve your damage.
- Banshee's Veil can he handy if an enemy spell usualy block you.
- For more damage you can build either a Void Staff or a Morellonomicon.
- Againts scary close range match-ups, Rylai's Crystal Scepter can allow you to freely kite and is a good combination with Liandry's Torment to melt tanks.
Kennen being one of the few toplaners fighting from a distance, he easily dominates his lane because he can constantly harass his enemies with his auto-attacks.
- Level 1: Take W - Electrical Surge and auto-attack as much as you can while the enemy laner is farming. When an enhanced auto hits the enemy activate your W to deal more damage.
- Level 2: Since toplane is often targeted by the enemy jungler, E - Lightning Rush is an important defensive choice, starting at the second level. It also allows you to attack the enemy if he is in a bad position.
As Kennen has no effective means of retreat, you will have to be particularly vigilant of your opponent's controls which, in the event of an enemy gank, could prove fatal; that is why vision in the river is indispensable. Note that E - Lightning Rush allows you to run through the minions. Use this trump card to make the enemy jungle gank more difficult.
Feel free to go back to base and use a teleportation to come back healthy.
From level six on, you have a very powerful all-in. As soon as your opponent gets a little alive, don't hesitate to run at him with your R - Slicing Maelstrom. You can even plan a 2 v 2 with your jungler by forcing the enemy jungler to come. To do this, push your lane by placing vision in the river and don't stop pokeing the enemy. Don't forget, however, to give your attention to your jungler so that he can come.
During teamfights, your role will be to place a maximum of damage and stuns. You can use E - Lightning Rush to run into enemies and R - Slicing Maelstrom to stun them. You must apply a maximum of auto-attacks to maximize your damage.
Thanks to your attack speed, you can quickly push a sidelane and join your allies for a teamfight. This will put pressure on one side of the Rift and support your teammates.
Tips & Tricks
- E - Lightning Rush allows to go through units.
- E - Lightning Rush increases Kennen's resistance, which may allow her to survive, for example, an ultimate from Karthus or Caitlyn.
- When E - Lightning Rush hits at least one enemy you get energy back.
- You can cast all your spells during E - Lightning Rush.
- There is a visual indication when the passive W - Electrical Surge is available.
- Kennen gains attack speed for four seconds coming out of E - Lightning Rush.