Our Season 11 Jungle Amumu guide features recommendations on rune choices, itemisation, tips and tricks, and more. Be advised that these guidelines are not rigid, and that nothing is set in stone as in-game circumstances (i.e. lane matchup, enemy team composition, enemy team advantages or lack thereof) may lead you to adapt and tweak your approach, particularly after your core build is complete.
BUILD 1: Conqueror
The Conqueror keystone offers Amumu a notable boost in damage and health regeneration, especially when it is fully stacked in combat. Legend: Tenacity (Precision tree) helps him stay into the fray or get there faster as his Q - Bandage Toss is his only means of closing the gap.
BUILD 2: Aftershock
The Aftershock option and the ensuing rune choices lean heavily on maximizing the value of Amumu's Ultimate, R - Curse of the Sad Mummy. Indeed, Font of Life (Resolve tree) and Cheap Shot (Domination tree) are extremely useful in team fights when the ultimate catches several targets. In addition, Ultimate Hunter (Domination tree) lowers the spell's cooldown and provides more opportunities for Amumu to dive into the fray.
- Sunfire Aegis turns tanks into legitimate threats in extended confrontations — which combines well with Amumu players, especially when picking the Conqueror rune page.
- Demonic Embrace fits champions who seek to dive into the fray and inflict heavy damage over time. On top of burning your enemies with Sunfire Aegis' Immolate aura and your W - Despair, this item will deal damage over time to your opponents. In turn, Amumu becomes a very effective option against tanks, as well as carries as your Armor and Magic Resistance in the mid game will greatly slow down your demise.
- Sunfire Aegis turns tanks into terrible threats in prolonged combat.
- Abyssal Mask allows tanks to increase damage dealt to immobilized targets, a passive amplified by Amumu's Passive - Cursed Touch. Together, these two passives allow you and your allies to deal massive additional damage to enemy champions. This choice is particularly effective against an enemy composition with heavy magic damage potential.
Starting Items and Boots
Starting Items and Boots
Depending on the situation, you may opt to level your skills with a different sequence to adapt to your circumstances. But, as a rule of thumb, junglers using Amumu are advised to level their skills following this priority order:
R > E > Q > W
Amumu clears the jungle very quickly thanks to W - Despair and E - Tantrum, particularly when facing camps with several jungle creeps as his E's cooldown is reduced every time they attack him. Despite this, he is vulnerable early on because of his lack of escape tools, and Amumu players need to pay attention to enemy invades.
However, upon reaching Level 6, Amumu gains a powerful gank tool, R - Curse of the Sad Mummy. Landing this spell greatly increases your chances of winning 2v2 and 3v3 skirmishes. If you find it useful to gank frequently at the start of the game, you may decide to max your Q - Bandage Toss.
Amumu's true potential lies in team fights: upon landing a Q - Bandage Toss, Amumu closes the gap between himself and the enemy team, allowing him to follow up with R - Curse of the Sad Mummy to stun all nearby enemies. Besides his powerful CC abilities, Amumu's damage is not negligible from mid-game onward, especially if damage-centric items are purchased (e.g.: Demonic Embrace).
Tips and Tricks
- You can use Q - Bandage Toss on a minion or on a jungle monster to get closer to the enemy team before using R - Curse of the Sad Mummy.
- E - Tantrum is very useful against jungle camps with a multitude of monsters, and in situations where enemy teams focus their fire on Amumu, as its cooldown decreases with each attack he takes.
- To properly manage your mana bar, pay attention to your W - Despair and make sure to toggle it off when not in combat, or when aiming to save mana.
Thanks to Mobalytics for their statistics.