The Super Mario movie had already been announced back in 2017, with Despicable Me studio Illumination pegged to develop the animated feature.
Now we know a little more, after legendary Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto appearing towards the end of last night's Nintendo Direct to reveal the voice cast and release date.
Super Mario release date also revealed
While the Nintendo Direct mentioned the release as just "Holiday 2022", the official Nintendo of America Twitter account states the release date as December 21, 2022 -- a typically popular date for movies released in the run up to Christmas.
The cast is made up of several well-known Hollywood names in major roles.
- Mario: Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World)
- Princess Peach: Anya Taylor-Joy (The Queen's Gambit, Emma)
- Luigi: Charlie Day (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Pacific Rim)
- Bowser: Jack Black (School of Rock, Jumanji)
- Toad: Keegan-Michael Key (The Lego Movie, Key & Peele)
- Donkey Kong: Seth Rogen (Superbad, Knocked Up)
- Kamek: Kevin Michael Richardson (Family Guy, Teen Titans)
- Cranky Kong: Fred Armisen (Saturday Night Live, Anchorman)
- Spike: Sebastian Maniscalco (Green Book, The Irishman)
The long-time voice of Mario, Charles Martinet, will make cameos in the movie in as-yet unknown roles.