- Corrupting Potion is a great start for Jarvan IV because of the lack of sustainability from is kit.
- If you prefer to play a more passive lane, Doran Shield is a good option.
- Mercury's Treads is the best choice for a difficult heavy AP match-up.
- Ninja Tabi if you fear an heavy AD game.
- You must absolutely rush a Tiamat, it will allow you to push the waves very quickly, you will upgrade it to the Titanic Hydra afterwards.
- After your Tiamat, take a Black Cleaver, starting if possible with the Phage, a very good item.
- Then, Sterak's Cage will be there to help you survive in teamfight (make a Maw of Malmortius if the enemies are all AP), as well as a Guardian Angel, who could save you a minimum of two times: with the Stopwatch and with the item's passive later in the game.
- Finally, take items that make you more resistant (Gargoyle Stoneplate, Dead Man's Plate, ...), you can also take an Locket of the Iron Solari to help your allies.
- If you're particularly comfortable in the game and want to inflict more damage, consider lethal items such as Duskblade of Draktharr or Youmuu's Ghostblade.
Playing Jarvan IV
- Jarvan is a very good bruiser, especially at the beginning of the game. It's easy to take the edge on the lane because the champion has a lot of base damage. Then transform this advantage; if you are not able to abuse your opponent, try to go to a close ally to help him, or use your teleportation. Once you have your Tiamat, it's very easy to manage your lane.
- Level 1: Push the lane with your Q - Dragon Strike in order to get your level 2. Your passive P - Martial Cadence allows you to last-hit easily.
- Level 2: Take your E - Demacian Standard. If your opponent is still level 1 or casting his spells to farm, assault him with an E+Q combo. The Demacian Banner's passive is terribly strong, and it persists for 8 seconds.
- Level 3: Be careful, your W - Golden Aegis is a very weak spell, don't rely on it too much.
- Level 6: R - Cataclysm can be used in many ways; you can block an enemy inside to prevent him from fleeing or to flee yourself.
- In teamfight, try to determine whether your R - Cataclysm should be used offensively or defensively. If you or your allies are bothered by the wall, make it disappear by pressing R again.
Tips & Tricks
- Jarvan IV can lock his opponents into his arena and then get out with his E + Q combo.
- Your combo can cross all the obstacles on the map, use it to avoid enemy wards to surprise your opponents.
- It is possible to use Flash during the E + Q combo to change the trajectory of the latter, or to hit an enemy further away. However, this requires some practice.
- The more enemies in the melee the bigger your W - Golden Aegis get, use it wisely.
- E - Demacian Standart provides vision, you can use it to check if an enemy is hiding in a brush.
- E - Demacian Standart also augment the attack speed of your allies, you can use it when pushing towers and neutral objectives.
- E - Demacian Standart lasts for 8 seconds meaning you can use Q - Dragon Strike twice during the same flag one your skill is at max rank.