Start with the indispensable Doran's Ring which gives power, mana regeneration and hit points, along with a few Potions and you should be able to hold your line until the next back.
Depending on your play style, you can either opt for Sorcerer's Shoes which will increase your damage, or for Ionian Lucidity Boots. Both are viable options.
- Luden's Echo is your main damage-dealing item, admittedly because of its unique effect, but also because it will solve most of your mana issues.
- Zhonya's Hourglass is especially recommended on Vel'Koz since he's really vulnerable to crow controls while having no escape spell at all.
- Morellomonicon will prevent your opponents from healing just after you burst them. It will also increase your magic penetration — something essential during the early stages of the game.
- Rabadon's Deathcap makes your amount of AP explode, it's a particularly powerful item when you already have 3/4 AP items.
- Liandry's Torment provides, like Morellonomicon, HP and AP. But if the item is powerful, it is primarily due to the passive that inflicts damage on the opponents' max HPs. It's especially powerful when played against a composition in which there are many tanks.
- Void Staff greatly amplifies the power of the magical penetration that Morellonomicon and Sorcerer's Shoes give you.
How to play Vel'Koz
When playing Vel'Koz, there is an optimal way to level up your spells.
After taking Q - Plasma Fission at level 1, level up three times W - Void Rift in order to be able to clean the waves of minions efficiently. Then continue to improve Q - Plasma Fission.
- Level 1: Choose Q - Plasma Fission to start poking your opponents.
- Level 2: Choose E - Tectonic Disruption to stun an opponent trying to attack you or preventing the jungler from jumping at you when ganking.
- Level 3: Take W - Void Rift and then proceed to level-up until two times. When reaching levle 7, stop putting points into it and start leveling up Q - Plasma Fission until it reaches its maximum level.
At the beginning of the game, Q - Plasma Fission will be a very effective weapon. It will have the ability to slow down the opponent's support or carry while inflicting magical damage. Combined with your W - Void Rift and your passive Organic Deconstruction, you will be able to take advantage of your lane quickly.
The middle of the game is often difficult for Vel'Koz as he has no spell to escape. If you are skilled, you will often avoid a stun or aggression at your carry with your E - Tectonic Disruption.
At the end of the game, during teamfights, Vel'Koz can prove to be a real pain in the neck for the enemy team. His skill Q - Plasma Fission can slow enemies down by up to 70%. If perfectly placed, the spell can hit two targets.
Vel'Koz's endgame will often be limited to staying behind the entire team in order to strike a devastating R - Life Form Disintegration Ray. Nevertheless, you will be motionless at the moment of your ultimate, so be careful of your placement before using it.
Tips & Tricks
- You can cast your Q - Plasma Fission and activate it as soon as your enemy thinks he is out of range. It is necessary to keep in mind that it operates in an angle at 90° which leaves a lot of possibilities to make sure that your target won't be able to dodge it.
- Cast Q - Plasma Fission just after your E - Tectonic Disruption to immobilize your target and launch your W - Void Rift twice in a row. Vel'Koz's passive Organic Deconstruction will have time to do additional damage.
- To take advantage of a maximum of damage on an isolated target, apply very quickly Q - Plasma Fission to slow it down and as soon as the slowing down effect is applied cast R - Life Form Disintegration Ray. If the combo is carried out quickly and if the target does not have a flash, it will be very easy for you to kill it in only one blow.
- The same combo is quite possible using E - Tectonic Disruption instead of Q - Plasma Fission — if it is executed quickly.
- Vel'Koz is pretty much the AP equivalent of Vayne: remember to use your passive at your advantage since it will inflict a tremendous amount of damage.