Blitzcrank is a support who relies mainly on his Q - Rocket Grab. His resistance and mobility are his main assets in punishing out-of-position enemies. Blitzcrank will therefore be directed towards items giving resistance, as well as utility items. The choice of core items is as follows:
Zeke's Convergence vs Locket of the Iron Solari
With magic resist, useful mana for your passive, cooldown reduction and a passive ability that perfectly combines with your R - Static Field, Zeke's Convergence is a perfect item for Blitzcrank.
Locket of the Iron Solari gives armor and magic resist, and has an activateable ability that can compensate for Blitzcrank's lack of effectiveness as a team fighter.
How to Play Blitzcrank
Blitzcrank is a resistant champion, who grabs his opponents in order to engage in combat.
- Level 1: Choose Q - Rocket Grab to invade the enemy jungle, potentially picking up first blood.
- Level 2: Choose E - Power Fist to be able to perform your standard Q+E combo.
Blitzcrank has a lot of crowd control, so can be very impactful from the beginning of the game. However, his spells cost a lot of mana. His Q - Rocket Grab also puts a lot of pressure on the bot lane. Opponents will see a tendency to play backwards, dropping many last hits on minions out of fear of being grabbed. Wait until one of the enemies is incorrectly positioned, then grab. Feel free to wait in a bush and bait the hook. However, if you miss your Q - Rocket Grab, drop back and play passively until its cooldown refreshes.
If your bot lane is going well and your ADC is able to hold the line alone for a while, don't hesitate to go and help the mid lane. It is important to roam as much as possible with Blitzcrank in order to put pressure on your enemies. His W - Overdrive allows you to gank quickly and easily, but be careful at the end of the spell's duration as you will be slowed considerably. You can also opt for the option of staying with your ADC and picking up as many kills as possible together.
In team fights, Blitzcrank's only really useful ability is R - Static Field — which silences all enemies within its range. Nevertheless, he is not totally useless. Your real objective will be to engage by grabbing opponents normally difficult to reach, such as the enemy ADC, punishing opponents as much as possible for their bad positioning.
Tips & Tricks
- Vision is crucial. Once you have completed the Runesteel Shoulderguards quest, don't hesitate to place some wards in the Dragon pit if you are in difficulty, or in the enemy jungle if you have the advantage over your opponents. Do not neglect this part of your support role.
- Thanks to his Q - Rocket Grab, Blitzcrank has a great advantage at Level 1, so don't hesitate to invade the enemy jungle at the beginning of the game in order to grab an enemy or to try to steal the blue or the red buff.
- Your Q - Rocket Grab costs a lot of mana in the early game and has an extremely long cooldown. Don't use it wastefully, because your opponents will take advantage of any misses to engage you — making it very difficult to retaliate.
- Once you have obtained your Boots of Mobility and are pursuing enemies, choose to run towards them with your W and your boots' passive instead of grabbing them. Your E - Power Fist is a targeted spell and can't miss — unlike the Grapple, which is harder to land.
- Be careful with your R - Static Field liabilities because, at Level 6, if you are still in the laning phase, it could cause your ADC to lose minions. Similarly, if you are going to remove a ward in the Dragon or Baron Nashor pits, the passive of your ultimate could become active and leave you out of position. So, use your ultimate before going to remove a ward in these surroundings.