To help ease the burden of levelling in WoW Classic, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide on the best Talents, Weapons, and Professions, as well as other information that you’ll need to know as a Priest.
Stats to Focus On When Levelling
Spirit > Intellect > Stamina > Strength = Agility
Best Build For Levelling
This Shadow-focused build isn't very powerful before Level 36, when you unlock Rank 3 Mind Flay, which then becomes more effective than Smite. This build gets even stronger still when you learn Shadowform. Though there are other builds that are perfectly viable, this one will serve you the best. Here are the talents you should prioritise when levelling up:
- Wand Specialisation 5/5
- Spirit Tap 5/5
- Improved Shadow Word: Pain 2/2
- Shadow Focus 5/5
- Improved Psychic Scream 2/2
- Mind Flay 1/1
- Shadow Reach 3/3
- Shadow Weaving 2/5
- Silence 1/1
- Vampiric Embrace 1/1
- Shadow Weaving 5/5
- Darkness 5/5
- Shadowform 1/1
- Improved Power Word: Shield 3/3
- Martyrdom 2/2
- Improved Power Word: Fortitude 1/2
- Inner Focus 1/1
- Meditation 3/3
- Improved Inner Fire 3/3
- Improved Mana Burn 2/2 (on PvP servers), otherwise Healing Focus 2/2
Spells and Abilities to Prioritise
Spell or Ability
Everything available in this range
Smite (Rank 3)
Power Word: Fortitude (Rank 2)
Inner Fire (Rank 1)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 2)
Mind Blast (Rank 2)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 3)
Shadow Word: Pain (Rank 3)
Smite (Rank 4)
Mind Blast (Rank 3)
Inner Fire (Rank 2)
Power Word: Fortitude (Rank 3)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 4)
Shadow Word: Pain (Rank 4)
Smite (Rank 5)
Mind Blast (Rank 4)
Inner Fire (Rank 3)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 5)
Mind Blast (Rank 5)
Power Word: Fortitude (Rank 4)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 6)
Shadow Word: Pain (Rank 5)
Mind Flay (Rank 2)
Mind Flay (Rank 3)
Smite (Rank 6)
Mind Blast (Rank 6)
Inner Fire (Rank 4)
Smite (Rank 7)
Mind Blast (Rank 7)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 7)
Shadow Word: Pain (Rank 6)
Mind Flay (Rank 4)
Power Word: Fortitude (Rank 5)
Inner Fire (Rank 5)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 8)
Shadow Word: Pain (Rank 7)
Smite (Rank 8)
Mind Blast (Rank 8)
Power Word: Shield (Rank 9)
Mind Flay (Rank 5)
Rotations and Important Information for Levelling
- When in a group, ensure that you trigger Spirit Tap by last hitting creatures with Smite or Mind Blast. This will eliminate your mana problems entirely.
- Make sure you're buffed by Power Word: Fortitude and Inner Fire at all times.
- Once you apply your DoT (see: rotation below), weaken the creature with just your wand before finishing them off with a Mind Blast or Smite.
- Keep Power Word: Shield up at all times to reduce your taken damage.
Basic Rotation 1-36
- Mind Blast
- Shadow Word: Pain
- Mind Blast or Smite to finish off the target
Basic Rotation 36-60
- Mind Blast
- Shadow Word: Pain
- Mind Flay
- Mind Flay
- Mind Blast to finish off the target
Useful Weapons and Armour
- Lesser Magic Wand, crafted by Enchanters and equipable by Priests at Level 5
- Greater Magic Wand, crafted by Enchanters and equipable by Priests at Level 13
- Gravestone Scepter, a quest reward from Blackfathom Villainy (Level 18+), given by Dawnwatcher Selgorm in Darnassus (Alliance) and Bashana Runetotem in Thunder Bluff (Horde), taking place in Blackfathom Deeps
- Lesser Mystic Wand, crafted by Enchanters and equipable by Priests at Level 26
- Greater Mystic Wand, crafted by Enchanters and equipable by Priests at Level 30
- Blackbone Wand, sold by Zane Bradford in Undercity (Horde), Harick Boulderdrum in Ironforge (Alliance), and Ardwyn Cailen in Stormwind (Alliance), all at Level 40
- Cairnstone Sliver, a quest reward from The Morrow Stone (Level 42+), given by Troyas Moonbreeze in Feralas
- Noxious Shooter, dropped by Noxxion in Maraudon
- Mana Channeling Wand, dropped by Cho'Rush the Observer in Dire Maul
What Race Should I Choose?
The best part of playing an Undead, other than their fantastic style, is having access to Will of the Forsaken, which is excellent in PvP. Other than that, Cannibalise is great for levelling. In addition, Undead are the only race that can use the incredibly powerful Devouring Plague, making them especially strong in PvP.
Undead unique racial abilities: Touch of Weakness & Devouring Plague.
Dwarfs have access to Stoneform, making them a great choice for PvP, as well as Frost Resistance, which is useful for specific situations in PvE. In addition, Dwarfs have access to two very powerful unique racial abilities: Desperate Prayer & Fear Ward.
Dwarf unique racial abilities: Desperate Prayer & Fear Ward.
World of Warcraft: Classic has a number of races to choose from, and making that choice has long-term consequences. You don't want to regret your choice later, so we've broken down the races in our tier list for WoW: Classic.
Tailoring is essential for Priests, as Tailors can craft incredibly strong pre-raid armour, such as the exceptional Truefaith Vestments. You'd do well to craft it, as it'll serve you well until Ahn Qiraj.
Engineering is the best choice by default, as it is widely used in both PvP and PvE. From Goblin Sapper Charges, to Arcanite Dragonlings, to even Dense Dynamite, you'll always find Engineering to be useful in some way or another!
If you decide to not to take Engineering, there's a lot to be happy about for an Enchanter. You'll be able to create your own enchantments and disenchant raid drops, as well as your own unwanted gear and Tailoring crafts!
World of Warcraft: Classic has a number of professions to choose from, from crafting armour with Blacksmithing and Leatherworking to farming materials with Herbalism and Minning. With something for everyone, here is our Classic Profession tier list.
Macros and Addons
There aren't any must-have addons specifically for Priests, but here are some that will make your levelling easier across the board:
- Azeroth Auto Pilot
WoW Classic sounds the return of a long and demanding leveling process, requiring patience and rigour. To make your task a bit easier, we offer some tips for both Horde and the Alliance, whatever your class: addons, zones, PvP, instances and more.
Written by Laerezh, Translated from the French by Millenium.